Introduction to Whisky Tasting - Chester
Join us for an introduction evening to one of the worlds finest spirits.
Scotch whisky or the uisge beatha, the water of life, is a wonderful spirit with a charasmatic and absorbing past. The lengths and methods a distiller pursues incorporating the long-maturation periods (10, 12, 15, 18 years old etc) define whisky, especially single malt whisky, as a high and wonderful quality product. Some spirits have few flavour compounds (e.g. vodkas), others gain flavour from their distillation period (e.g. Cognacs) whilst others will gain additional flavour from maturation in oak casks. Malt Whisky gains flavour from both the distillation method and maturation producing a fabulously complex and flavoursome drink. Truly one of a kind.
But it's not a simple as that. There is detailed variation throughout regional Scotland, from the fruity and elegant Speyside, to the peaty and smoky Islay and from the delicate Lowlands to the robust and spicy Highlands. Then there's Ireland, America and Canada too.
In our whisky tastings you will:
- learn how to taste whisky like a professional
- sample 6 different drams from Scotland and elsewhere
- taste a blended Scotch whisky, the most popular part of the industry, and learn how it's produced
- taste an example from each of the four regional parts of Scotland; Speyside, Islands, Highlands, Lowlands
- learn the definitions of differing alcohol strengths, e.g. 'cask strength'
- learn an overview on the detailed production methods and maturation types/lengths for malt whisky
- taste an example from across the Big Pond, an American Bourbon whiskey
An exciting tasting designed as an introduction to possibly the world's greatest spirit. Slainte!.. as they say in Scotland!
This can also be purchased as a Gift Voucher.
Places remaining: 0
Course Date/Time: Sat 10th Feb 2018 at 6-8pm
Duration: 2 hours
Venue: ABode Hotel Chester